The Egyptian lighthouse in the Venetian port of Chania is a local treasure and the city’s most photographed attraction.
Is one of the oldest lighthouses in the world and was constructed by the Venetians at the end of the 16th century.
It was rebuilt by the Egyptians between 1830 and 1840 when the British Empire ceded Crete to Egypt’s regent, Mehmet Ali.
The project was finished during the end of the Ottoman Empire with the construction of the stairway on its east side, as well as pipes that allow seawater to move beneath the surface of its base.
The lighthouse stands 21 meters above sea level, has a surface area of 26 square meters, and its headlight can be seen for 7 nautical miles.
It features an octagonal base, 16 angles in the middle, and a circular top.
Entrance inside the Egyptian lighthouse is not allowed